Restorative Yoga in Dublin, OH
Restorative yoga is a style of yoga that encourages physical, mental, and emotional relaxation.
This yoga style is known for its ability to activate the parasympathetic nervous system. This is the “rest and digest” part of your nervous system that helps keep basic functions working as they should.
As the name suggests, this style of yoga “restores” the body to its parasympathetic nervous system function, which, in turn, helps the body rest, heal, and restore balance.
And, since you’re encouraged to relax fully in the pose while focusing on your breath, restorative yoga allows you to release tension in your muscles for longer periods without discomfort.
Restorative Yoga Benefits
Restorative yoga is a gentle and relaxing form of yoga that focuses on deep relaxation and stress reduction. It involves holding comfortable poses supported by props like bolsters, blankets, and blocks for an extended period. The purpose of restorative yoga is to create a soothing and calming experience for the body and mind.
- Stress Reduction: The slow and mindful nature of restorative yoga helps activate the parasympathetic nervous system, which promotes relaxation and reduces stress hormones like cortisol.
- Enhanced Flexibility: Holding poses with the support of props allows muscles to relax, making it easier to gently stretch and improve flexibility over time.
- Improved Sleep: Restorative yoga can help ease insomnia and improve the quality of sleep by calming the mind and reducing tension in the body.
- Reduced Anxiety: The focus on breath and relaxation can help alleviate anxiety and promote a sense of inner peace and tranquility.
- Better Circulation: The gentle stretching and opening of the body in restorative yoga poses can improve blood flow and circulation.
- Healing and Recovery: Restorative yoga can be beneficial for individuals recovering from injuries or illnesses as it allows the body to heal while still engaging in gentle movement.
- Mindfulness and Awareness: The slow and meditative nature of restorative yoga encourages present-moment awareness, fostering mindfulness and promoting a deeper mind-body connection.
- Balancing the Nervous System: Restorative yoga can balance the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems, which can be particularly helpful for individuals experiencing chronic stress or burnout.
- Lower Blood Pressure: Regular practice of restorative yoga has been associated with lower blood pressure, which is beneficial for heart health.